Monday 28 January 2013

Grocery Store - Pay it Forward!


What I know today is that Pay it Forward is something that has been around for a while now and according to wikipedia's definition:  The expression "pay it forward" is used to describe the concept of asking the beneficiary of a good deed to "repay" it to others instead of to the original benefactor. The concept is old, but the phrase may have been coined by Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight.[1]


I was in the grocery store the other day and ahead of me in line there was a little boy buying a pack of gum.  He didn't have enough money so he put the one he wanted back and picked a different one.  I thought to myself I should buy it for him, so I told the cashier to put it with my groceries (which happened to only be a pack of ground beef).  He looked at me with disbelief at first but then it quickly turned to gratitude.  I then said to him, "you know what I want you to do for me"?  He look up at me and sweetly said,  "carry your groceries"?  I laughed and said, "no I want you to pay it forward".  "Do you know what that means?"  He shook his head no and so I said I wanted him to do something nice for someone else that day.  As the cashier handed him his gum she reminded him to follow through on his promise.  It was an awesome feeling and such a small act.  It made my heart swell and made me feel so good!  I wonder what little ripple came from that and who the recipient was and what act of kindness they received?

What can you do for someone to create a ripple of pay it forward?  It doesn't have to involve money...

Here are some ideas:

*Brush the snow off of someone's car at the end of the work day.
*Shovel someone's walk way.
*Smile at a complete stranger and give a genuine compliment
*Plan to make a double batch of that casserole you are making for supper and tell them supper is on     you that day...
*Lend a book that you found helpful or interesting
*Write a letter and mail it to someone whom you admire and tell them what they mean to you or write a   letter to someone who made a difference in your life

What other creative ways can you come up with?  It should be something that is effortless for you and that just comes natural... We all have unique talents to share in this world!

Spread the Joy!  Would love to hear your comments on here, or stories of your random acts of kindness, no matter how old this post is! :)  Who knows you might inspire someone else with your unique idea!




No comments:

Post a Comment